The bet365 Craven Stakes is a Group 3 flat horse race which in 2019 will be held on Wednesday 17th April open to three year old colts and geldings. It is run over a distance of 1 mile (1,609 metres) on the Rowley Mile at Newmarket.
The event is named after William Craven, 6th Baron Craven, a member of the Jockey Club in the 18th century. His support for racing at Newmarket led to the introduction of the Craven Meeting in 1771.The first race had a subscription of 5 guineas, to which 21 subscribed. It was to be run “from the ditch to the turn of the lands.” The race was won by Pantaloon, owned by a Mr Vernon.An open-age version of the Craven Stakes was staged annually until the 1870s. It traditionally took place on a Monday in April, and was usually Newmarket's first race of the season. Several other racecourses had a race of the same name.The modern version of the Craven Stakes, a one-mile event for three year olds, was established in 1878. The inaugural running was won by Thurio.This race is recognised as as a trial for the 2,000 Guineas. The first horse to win both races was Scot Free in 1884. The most recent was Haafhd in 2004.The Craven Stakes is currently held on the second day of Newmarket's three day Craven Meeting.
12 YEAR STATISTICS
- Age – This event is for 3yo’s only.
- Starting Price – 10 of the last 12 winners went off at an SP of 9/2 or less.
- Last Run – Just 4 of the last 12 winners won on their last run, 11 of the last 12 winners had their last run over 165 days ago.
- Course Form – 8 of the last 12 winners had at least 1 previous run at Newmarket, and 7 of themhad at least 1 previous win at Newmarket.
- Distance Form – 6 of the 12 winners had at least 1 previous run over 1 mile, but just 3 winners had won over 1 mile.
- Form – All 12 winners had at least 1 previous flat win and 9 of them had at least 2 previous flat wins.
- Official Rating – 9 of the 12 winners had a rating between 111 and 115.
- Group Wins – 7 of the last 12 winners had at least 1 win in a group 1-3 race
- Season Form – None of the last 12 winners had a previous win that season in fact only 1 had run.
ROYAL MARINE 9/4
– Won final 2 starts last year, including the Group 1 Prix Jean-Luc Lagardere at Longchamp. Wasn't suited by the dirt track at Meydan in January, but should resume his progress back on turf..ZAKOUSKI 9/4
– Looked a very smart prospect when winning at Kempton in November on sole 2 year old start. Prominent in ante-post 2000 Guineas betting) market, held in high regard by connections, a definite player.SKARDU 13/2
– Went off at 33/1 when winning a 7 furlong maiden here in September, shaped up like a group class performer, should make the frame.SET PIECE 8/1
– Has won a pair of minor events on the All Weather this winter, well bred and could be anything, this is a huge step up in class but interesting non the less.
This looks a match between the Godolphin pair ROYAL MARINE and ZAKOUSKI my marginal preference is ROYAL MARINE 9/4
for Saeed Bin Suroor, French jockey Christophe Soumillion takes the ride.The CRAVEN STAKES is just one of over 500 ITV races that members of our Premium Tips service receive tips for each year.
Have fun playing with the statistics, you may come up with a different conclusion to me but that is how it should be.Yours in racingKeith
* odds correct at time of publishing